That make sence. Thank you Mike!

So I think this commond on wiki was wrong

fslstats structural_bet_pve_1 -M -V | awk '{ print $1 * $3 }'

it should be

fslstats structural_bet_pve_1 -M -V | awk '{ print $1 * $2 }'

it should be $1 * $2,i.e., mean * # voxel, right?

Other questions:
1, did the pve images registered to templete space or kept in native space?
2, if I want to calculate ICV, i think it does not matter how much WM/GM/CFS in each voxel, can I just count nubmer of voxels in the brain and times it with size of voxel, i.e. second output of fslstats -V? Which image should I count on, the *pveseg*, *seg*,*mixeltype* or *brian*, *brain_mask* file? Or any file is ok for counting voxels?
some paper said calculate ICV in this way:
To calculate intracranial  volume,  the  inverse  of  the  determinant  of  the  transformation matrix  was  multiplied  by  the  template  volume  (1,948,105  mm3)
It did not make sense to me, why ICV should be calculated on template then transfer to native space in some way?

Thanks for all your help!

Merry Christmas!

2013-12-25

Chunhui Chen

State Key Laboratory of Cognitive Neuroscience and Learning
Beijing Normal University
Beijing, China 100875