Dear all,

Firstly apologies for cross-posting.

Each year, The Information and Records Management Society awards recognised individual IRM professionals and this year is no exception.  Returning to your attention, in its fifth year of running, is the New Professional’s Award. Alison North has kindly offered sponsor this award.

Alison North is the author of the book ‘Managing Records Retention and Disposal’ and an authority on the implementation of records management programmes to improve business efficiency, promote transparency and achieve compliance. Alison has worked extensively as a consultant in both the public and private sector.

Alison is supporting the Society in inviting new members of the profession at all levels to engage with their colleagues in the ever-growing community that surrounds Information and Records.

Can I enter?

You are eligible for this award if you are within the first 3 years of your career in Record and Information Management, whether you are a student, employed or self-employed. There is no age limit.

If you have concerns as to whether you are in the qualifying period for this award, please email in advance to: [log in to unmask]

What do I write about?

No theme is too wacky, as long as it is based around the entrants’ issues, thoughts or experiences in Information and Records Management.

The Prize

Well, it is attendance at our Annual Conference in May 2014 and comprises full delegate fees and accommodation, what’s more is that should the winner already be in receipt of an employer paid/fully sponsored place at Conference, then the prize will be equivalent monies to be used on IM/RM related books, DVDs and/or CPD!

When will I find out?

The winner will be informed before conference in time to allow them to make arrangement to attend conference but will be announced publicly at the Conference Gala Dinner Awards Ceremony, at which they will presented with an award certificate and trophy. Expect to hear from us between February and March.

Bring your best outfit, the conference gala dinner attracts a lot of delegates dressed in their best to dine and dance the night away; women in cocktail dress and Men in black tie.  Each year gets bigger and better so you definitely want to be there and what’s more, you want to be there as an award winner!

How do I enter?

A written piece of work between 1500 and 2000 words on a word file by emailing our Groups Officer, Scott Sammons at  [log in to unmask]  Once the closing date has arrived, your application will be judged by a panel of IRM experts including Alison North herself. Don’t delay, apply today!

Closing Date: 31st January 2014

Following the announcement at conference, one of our 2013 winners had this to say about their awards;

“I heard about the IRMS Alison North New Professional Award on Twitter and marked it in my diary as something to think about at the start of December.  However, when I read the previous winners, I abandoned all hope of entering - I was not convinced that I had much of a hope, given the excellence of what had gone before.  At the last minute, I bolted together an essay influenced by one of my favourite films and then forgot all about it.  Several months later, I was surprised and delighted to receive news that I had won.

Before coming to the conference I ensured I had several films on my tablet as being an FOI officer I wasn’t convinced that spending three days at a records managers conference would offer me much and I did not want to get bored.  However, having said that the executive committee were so lovely, looking after me and the conference itself was brilliantly organised and really informative.  I learned so much about IRM and made some very good friends - truly, records managers do work and play harder than almost anyone else!

I would like to thank IRMS & Alison North for a wonderful weekend and for my award.  Regarding films that I put on my tablet? Two months later, I still haven't watched them!”  Bilal Ghafoor

Many thanks,

Scott Sammons AMIRMS
Groups & e-Officer
Information & Records Management Society

Web | Twitter | LinkedIn

All user commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm and are sent in the body of an otherwise blank email to [log in to unmask]