Hear, hear.

Can we start a chapter of "People for the realistic accounting of 'externalities'"? ... PRAE ...

From my iPhone.

On Dec 18, 2013, at 2:39 PM, David Gordon Wilson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Will be happy to send info on bike-accident research, Adonia. All my stuff is at MIT and I'll be there on Friday.  Dave

PS I thought that I was replying just to David Patton, but I'm happy to connect to the whole group. Y'all might be interested in an article on "The bike menace" in Sunday's Boston Globe about the extreme murderous antipathy expressed by some right-wing zealots. It looks as though my letter-to-the-editor is not going to be published, so I'll expose my prejudices here.

"Right-wing nuts like Rush Limbaugh and  Wall Street Journal's Dorothy Rabinowitz are calling for the further marginalization or even the elimination of bicycles in towns. They illustrate the parlous state of democracy in the USA. They and their fellow motor-vehicle lobbyists over the last hundred years have successfully prevented the imposition of most of the external costs that road traffic brings about - costs that economists reckon now amount to about $4.00 per vehicle per mile in towns - so that use of cars is an almost irresistible bargain. Public transit has been almost eliminated as a reasonable alternative in many places. These gorgers at the public trough join bankers and gun manufacturers in pronouncing with appalling self-satisfaction that their manufactured dominance is part of the American way of life. If drivers (and bankers and gun manufacturers) had to pay for the costs that they impose on others I, as a bicyclist, would happily pay for whatever can be assessed as the external costs of bicycling, and life would become fantastically better for everyone, including pedestrians, children and users of public transit.

"Sincerely

"David Gordon Wilson (author, Bicycling Science)"