Dear all,

We’re very much looking forward to welcoming Simon Massey (Coventry University) on Tuesday for the final seminar paper of 2013. He will speak about his research on “Slavery in 2008: The African union prohibition on slavery and the Republic of Niger on trial”. As usual, the meeting is in Lecture Theatre 1 of 11 Abercromby Square, from 5pm. Do let me know if you’d like to go to dinner with the speaker after his paper.

Our first event of 2014 will be the afternoon-long “Caribbean Studies Research Seminar in the North”, held on Friday 10 January, from 1pm. Booking is essential – via www.liv.ac.uk/csis - but the afternoon is completely free and open to all. When signing up on the website, you can also indicate if you’d like to come to dinner at Eureka on Myrtle Parade in the evening (no charge in advance – just pay on the night itself). The speakers will be:

Wendy Asquith (Liverpool) – “Haiti Visualised for Chicago’s Fin de Siècle World Picture: Diaspora, Francophilia and PanAmericanism”

Dr. Peter Clegg (UWE) – “Guyana: Bridging the Divide?”

Dr. Doug Hamilton (Hull) – Dreams of empire: Scotland, New Caledonia and the ‘key to the universe’”

Dr. Kate Quinn (UCL) – “Black Power in the Caribbean Context”

I very much look forward to seeing you on Tuesday and/or at the 10 January workshop. I’ll be in touch again shortly with a full programme of seminar speakers for the first half of 2014.

All best wishes,

Richard.

Dr. Richard Huzzey, Lecturer in History

2.34, Department of History, The University of Liverpool
11 Abercromby Square, Liverpool, L69 7ZX

T  0151 794 2369

E  [log in to unmask]

w www.huzzey.co.uk

      University of Liverpool