Dear Katarina,

 thanks for your message and your interest in our workshop. I will try to answer your questions the best I can.

As for the issue of (Palestinian) participants, well, we are trying to circulate the CfP throught all the possible channels, and trying hard to get a diverse and interesting range of contributions. Beyond circulating the CfP, we also specifically invited few Palestinian scholars - I won't mention any name for obvious reasons. As I said in my previous email, this is made difficult because the call for the boycott certainly gained a lot of consensus in the last few years, so that I came to realize - not only as far as this workshop is concerned - that many people I'd certainly love to have on board would not consider participating precisely because of this reason. In my view this is a pity, but I can understand their concerns and anyway I respect their choice.

As for your more specific question about scholars coming from the West Bank or Gaza, I am afraid that guaranteeing their participation is simply impossible for us, given the tight restrictions to imposed by the Israeli authorities on the freedom of movement of Palestinians - not only on Palestinian scholars, and often in the case of much more pressing reasons than attending a seminar. What I can guarantee is that, as organizers, we will do whatever we can to provide them assistance if need be. Once again, I deeply regret that attending a seminar in Tel Aviv is easier for a guy from the US than for a Palestinian from Ramallah, but there's (almost) nothing I can do about that.

As for your question on the purposes of the workshop (What is the concrete meaning of “The seminar will aim at presenting a fresh perspective on the issue of settlements by bringing together different perspectives on the subject, as well as junior and senior scholars.”? ), well, it would be a long discussion.

I suggest that looking to our academic production and CVs (I and Ariel have recently published two articles: mine on Environment and Planning A is listed below, Ariel's is http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/tran.12045/abstract ), as well as to the record of activities of the Minerva Center for Humanities, would give you a good idea of what we want to achieve with this workshop. Also, I think that the four tracks detailed in the CfP (http://settlementsworkshop.wordpress.com/about/) give a more or less clear idea of what we mean by "less conventional approaches" and "fresh perspectives").

I should add that anyone familiar with the treatment of the settlement issue as discussed in the media in the academia cannot help but notice the fact that there's a total lack of contributions except for: the monitoring of the growth of the settlements; the legal and human rights implication of their existence and expansion; and their nature as "obstacles to peace" in the context of the diplomatic talks. The only segment of settlement population that has been the object of a more sociological and anthropological approach is the minority of politicized settlers of ultra-nationalist background; studies on the vast majority of settlements/settlers and the settlement policy as a whole, however, are almost completely non-existent - Eyal Weizman's Hollow Land is one of the few exceptions in this respect.

I hope this answer your questions
Best wishes
Marco

Marco Allegra, PhD
Research Fellow, Centro de Investigação e Estudos de Sociologia (CIES)
Instituto Superior de Ciências do Trabalho e da Empresa - Instituto Universitàrio de Lisboa (ISCTE-IUL)
Academia.edu: http://iscte.academia.edu/MarcoAllegra/About

Recent Publications

(2013, with I. Bono, J. Rokem, A. Casaglia, R. Marzorati, H. Yacobi) Rethinking Cities in Contentious Times: The Mobilisation of Urban Dissent in the ‘Arab Spring’, Urban Studies, 50(9), http://usj.sagepub.com/content/50/9/1675

(2013) The politics of suburbia: Israel’s settlement policy and the production of space in the metropolitan area of Jerusalem, Environment and Planning A 45(3), http://www.envplan.com/abstract.cgi?id=a45108

(2012, with A. Casaglia, J. Rokem) The Political Geographies of Urban Polarization: A Critical Review of Research on Divided Cities, Geography Compass, 6(9), http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1749-8198.2012.00506.x/abstract