On behalf of Prof Joris Messens:

PhD position in structure-function studies of redox stress signaling proteins

Position: A PhD Research position is immediately available for structure-function studies on peroxiredoxins of pathogentic Actinomycetes that control signaling during oxidative stress. Successful candidates will join an exciting research environment of the Messens VIB-laboratory in the Structural Biology Research Center in Brussels. The Messens laboratory is recognized as a world leader in the redox field, and the lab provides an outstanding position in protein biochemistry and structure, in a highly dynamic and team-oriented research group. Successful candidates will work on the FWO-project ‘A Combined Experimental and Theoretical Approach towards Sulfenylation in the Peroxiredoxin AhpE of M. tuberculosis: Unraveling its Redox Chemistry’ in collaboration with the Frank De Proft lab at the VUB, specialized in quantum chemical calculations, and with the Madia Trujillo lab at Universidad de la República Uruguay. In this cutting-edge research environment, you will tackle essential biological problems in oxidative stress signaling and redox regulation.

Project: Every 20 seconds a person dies from tuberculosis (TB), which sums up to over 2 million deaths each year. Therefore, the World Health Organization as well as the European Commission consider fighting TB as one of the main goals for the coming years. The agent causing TB is Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb). Mtb infects, resides and multiplies in alveolar macrophages. Mtb causes the formation of granulomas, where this pathogen is exposed to reactive oxygen species (ROS) and reactive nitrogen species, which generate a toxic environment aimed to kill the bacteria. Mtb engages advanced strategies to fight oxidative stress. One of the key enzymes in the defence mechanism of Mtb is the one-cys peroxiredoxin AhpE. AhpE scavenges ROS by its active site cysteine. In this process, the cysteine is oxidized to the sulfenic acid. We will study how the enzymatic environment influences the cysteine sulfenylation, and the electron-transfer pathways in which AhpE is involved. We will use a multidisciplinary approach involving structural and kinetic experiments, and theoretical calculations to establish the rate determining structural environment for cysteine sulfenylation. The moment we understand the details of this ROS-scavenging enzyme, we might start to think about strategies to interfere with this defense mechanism of Mtb.

Requirements: Applicants should have obtained a Master degree with a strong background and interest in protein biochemistry, structural biology and enzymology. Candidates are expected to have strong work ethics, excellent organization and communication skills, and critical thinking abilities. We offer a friendly, enthusiastic and interactive environment. Our staff is international and the working language is English. Please send a cover letter discussing your interests in the laboratory and the project as well as your CV and list of 3 individuals as references to [log in to unmask].

Kind regards,

Inge

Dr. Inge Van Molle
VIB,Structural Biology Research Center
Oxidative Stress Signalling
Structural Biology Brussels
Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Building E, room 4.16, Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussel, Belgium

Tel. 003226291992
Mobile 0032486521278