Dear Acoot,

Crystallographers came to realize this very early on that the crystal exterior was not crucial; diffraction really is a property of the crystal interior.

I believe the first mention I found of this was in what's certainly one of the most beautiful scientific pieces I've ever read--and I highly recommend it:
William Bragg (1914). X-rays and crystalline structure. Science 40, 795-802.

(Some days I wish all high schoolers could read this paper the world over, especially also in poor countries, where access to quality reading material is still sadly so poor.--Well, then again, who knows, perhaps in an international year of crystallography!)

Best regards,
Navdeep

---
On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 08:49:20PM -0800, Acoot Brett wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am optimizing a crystal. In one of the optimizing conditions I find the crystal is cubic-like shape (the crystal is not large, but absolutely not the traditional "tiny crystal". The crystal has some kind of faces and edges but not so sharp, and it is absolutely not round). But after 1 day the crystal changed into sphere form (the "cubic" not obvious).
>
> Will you please introduce your experience on how to get the sharp face and sharp edge crystal for my situation)?
>
> There is source says if the crystal grows too faster, the sharpness would be lost. Will you please also let me know how to slow down the growth rate of the crystal?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Acoot

---
Navdeep Sidhu