From: David Bircumshaw
Sent: Sunday, December 08, 2013 4:03 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: baBoom

Tim

With regard to the New Gen, and wuth risk to sausages here too, Poetry Review, under Peter Forbes, had a very important role in its propagation. My impression was that this in turn was linked to the Poetry Society's relationship to funding bodies and the need to promote a poetry that fulfilled managerial expectation. Since the Nineties, with the rise of suitably supervised pub poetry and the switch to Creative Writing in universities, the managerial web has multiplied, it certainly isn't just the Arts Council now. Whether its mainstream or performance or even in some cases avant-garde, poetry that is 'endorsed' is increasingly a product of a society of managerial determination. That's partly why so much it sounds the same, like the Augustans, it's a consequence of patronage. Got to go, the smoke alarm is in a tizzy

Best

Dave
Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone from Virgin Media