Hi, I agree with George, it can be even T. monococcum. Nevertheless the imprints are beautiful.
Aldona

2013/12/11 George Willcox <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Naomi,

I assume this an impression made from an ear or individual spikelets and not a fabricated object.

It could be barley but I am not totally convinced without having done some experiments which we do systematically when identifying impressions, see my publications.

You should make a cast of the original using silicone to get a positive view.

Then if necessary experiment by making impressions from fresh barley and wheat ears for comparison.

Finally the lines which outline the spikelets could be the keel on the glumes of wheat.

Barely spikelets are rounded.

So I have a doubt.

Cheers
George

--
George Willcox
Archéorient CNRS UMR 5133, Université de Lyon II.
Antenne d'Archéorient, Jalès, Berrias.
07460 St-Paul-le-Jeune.
FRANCE
Tel : 00 33 (0)4 75 89 80 24