Dear Naomi, dear colleagues,

I agree with George Willcox and Aldona Muller-Bieniek :

Without the object, it's difficult to be sure. I never work with the silicon imprints, but with flexible lights and one reference system.

http://iwgp-2013.web.auth.gr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=144

Bonnaire E., The by-products of crop processing used for tempering clay for building. Reference system of identification of the glumes and glumelles imprints

First, I supposed it was barley, but after a second observation I suggest Triticum monococcum.

As George says, we can see the keel on the glumes of wheat and the apex is composed of two points. The morphology is rounded and oblong.

Best regards,

Emmanuelle

Emmanuelle Bonnaire

Carpologue

Communauté d'Agglomération du Douaisis

Direction de l'Archéologie Préventive

227 rue Jean Perrin

59500 Douai

France

+ 33 3 27 08 88 54

> Message du 11/12/13 16:09
> De : "Naomi Miller"
> A : [log in to unmask]
> Copie à :
> Objet : Re: barley impression
>
>HI George, Mark, Aldona and everyone,

Hmm. I guess nothing is ever simple. At least we're all happy it's grain! I pass the info. on to Chiara, and then we'll see what's possible. Thanks for all the input. Naomi

On Dec 11, 2013, at 4:48 AM, Aldona Mueller-Bieniek wrote:

Hi, I agree with George, it can be even T. monococcum. Nevertheless the imprints are beautiful.

Aldona

2013/12/11 George Willcox <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Naomi,

I assume this an impression made from an ear or individual spikelets and not a fabricated object.

It could be barley but I am not totally convinced without having done some experiments which we do systematically when identifying impressions, see my publications.

You should make a cast of the original using silicone to get a positive view.

Then if necessary experiment by making impressions from fresh barley and wheat ears for comparison.

Finally the lines which outline the spikelets could be the keel on the glumes of wheat.

Barely spikelets are rounded.

So I have a doubt.

Cheers

--
George Willcox
Archéorient CNRS UMR 5133, Université de Lyon II.
Antenne d'Archéorient, Jalès, Berrias.
07460 St-Paul-le-Jeune.
FRANCE
Tel : 00 33 (0)4 75 89 80 24