From: AHFAP, for image professionals in the UK cultural heritage sector [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of colin white
Sent: 12 December 2013 10:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PC V MAC

PC or Mac? To be honest it doesn't really matter. I've used both and currently use a PC. The reason I went with a PC was that it suited me best. I didn't really need to utilise Firewire, I had no software specifically for Mac anymore and PC's were better value for money. The main reason a PC will be better value is the use of graphics card. Macs use high end graphics card whilst PC's usually allow you to build with a card of choice which means you can load a cheaper card. This is my point for digital photography you don't need a top of the range graphics card, they're designed for gamers. In photography you can use a medium range graphics card with no problems at all.

You may also want to think about support. Most institutions will have good pc support but may have to outsource for Mac support, is that good value for money?

It may not affect you but if you use any small independent freeware check whether it is for mac or pc or which one usually gets upgraded first, it may influence you.

If you are using Hasselblad Phocus software for cameras other than Hasselblad, then you'll have to look at a Mac or change the software for the other camera manufacturers.

For the monitor I'd shop around, NEC, LaCie, Eizo all make a range of monitors which I would suggest are more useful for photographers. I would also suggest that when looking at monitors to bear in mind the destination of your work eg an Adobe RGB monitor may sound the ideal but most work is destined eventually to be printed CMYK or viewed on monitors (mostly sRGB). Unless you have a very good working environment you can get a suitable monitor at pretty reasonable prices. A good website to compare monitors is at colour confidence

http://shop.colourconfidence.com/section.php/10154/1/monitor-showroom

I should say once you've found the monitor that suits you look around for the best price.

All the best,  Colin.

Colin White - Photography and Digital Imaging
204 Albyn Road
London SE8 4JQ

Tel: 07530 330 293
web: http://www.niepce.co.uk