Hi Morgan

This is fascinating stuff, I would love to read your PhD when it is
finished. What jumps to mind for me is that many people think magic is not
"real" anyway, so from the outside its all part of the same delusion. We
almost all live with large amounts of   virtual, but very real,
communication,  and  the most powerful tool of magic is the mind of the
magician, so how can the magic not be real? Do we need to be in what you
call "meat sapce" (I do not like this term is it meant to be derogatory?) I
have found that with increasing years in magic my props and rituals for
personal stuff get ever less, with much of all the sytems I have worked now
internalised, but I am not sure that would have been a good way as a
beginner, but maybe the younger generation  are so immersed in virtuality
that it is a natural space for them, and of course it is practical in terms
of location? But then I still like to do  some  complex ceremonial rites as
all that effort is for me the best way to access those particular spaces,
and nothing quite compares to the combined effect on the senses. I also
appreciate the way much of the  western mystery tradition is passed down
lines of physical, almost apostolic, succession, where much is learnt by
imitation, absorbtion and the socratic method,  which are as much a part of
it all as the technology of  magic itself. Its all something that has
largely passed me by, but I know some people have been doing rituals in
second life for years, and see it as a very useful teaching tool. Anyway,
sounds like you will have some very interesting papers/ a book out sometime,
I'd buy it.

regards

Melissa.