It may be useful to get the input of EuSEM as well in terms of nearest neighbours - I am well aware that 'boarding' as it is called there is a huge issue in the US as well with patients being left either on ambulance stretchers or trolleys in ED corridors for many hours

Regards

Jim Bethel

-----Original Message-----
From: Accident and Emergency Academic List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of ACAD-AE-MED automatic digest system
Sent: 13 December 2013 00:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ACAD-AE-MED Digest - 9 Dec 2013 to 12 Dec 2013 (#2013-80)

There is 1 message totaling 71 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Urgent Care in England

Date:    Thu, 12 Dec 2013 04:38:38 +0000
From:    Coats Tim - Professor of Emergency Medicine <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Urgent Care in England

Kieran,

It is not just either England or the UK, but in fact international. The recent Australasian EM conference was full of exactly the same issues that we are facing in the UK, with the local media carrying stories about delayed offload of ambulances due to ED overcrowding. I think that this is good evidence that root causes are in fundamental issues rather than the details of NHS organisation.

I wonder if the BMJ could in some way give an international perspective on the issue - it would be good to start to move the political debate in the UK above the local issues of NHS organisation and take a more global perspective of the underlying factors in population demographics and healthcare expectations which are driving emergency care system overload internationally.

Tim.

Prof. TJ Coats
Professor of Emergency Medicine
University of Leicester,