Jesse,

As you know, sturgeon scutes are commonly found, but rarely studied in depth, at prehistoric and historical sites throughout the Northeast U.S. However, an 18th century sturgeon fishery (shad and other fish were also harvested) was excavated and reported on in detail in Trenton, New Jersey, along the Delaware River.

At least 54 sturgeon remains were identified at the Lamberton Fishery Boiling House site.

There are 569 identified sturgeon remains, mostly scutes or scute fragments, from the basement at the Lambert-Douglas Plantation site. These were not identified to species. Sturgeon was found in contexts dating to both the earlier and later 18th century, and is second only to domestic pig in terms of identified specimens at Lambert-Douglas. Smaller numbers of sturgeon scutes were found in other structures within the project area.

While I believe the data recovery reports are still in the draft/review stage, an excellent series of booklets for the public were produced by Hunter Research. These can be found online here: http://www.state.nj.us/counties/mercer/commissions/cultural/rte29.html

The most relevant are Fish and Ships: Lamberton, the Port of Trenton, which has a summary of the sturgeon fisheries at the site, and A Tale of Two Houses: The Lambert/Douglas House and the Rosey Hill Mansion, 1700-1850.

Technical reports:

Madrigal, T. Cregg

2000    Vertebrate Faunal Remains from the Lambert‑Douglas Plantation Site, Trenton, New Jersey. In  Archaeological Data Recovery Excavations and Monitoring, New Jersey Route 29, City of Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey. Prepared by Hunter Research, Inc., for the New Jersey Department of Transportation.

2001    Faunal Remains from Route 29 Monitoring. In  Archaeological Data Recovery Excavations and Monitoring, New Jersey Route 29, City of Trenton, Mercer County, New Jersey, Volume V. Prepared by Hunter Research, Inc., for the New Jersey Department of Transportation.

Sturgeon was also found within the prehistoric Abbott Farm National Historic Landmark, also in Trenton, but in relatively low numbers. Dave Parris has argued this is likely a taphonomic bias. Based on both the faunal remains and other artifacts at Abbott Farm, Cavallo argued that intensive procurement and processing of sturgeon (and other anadromous fish) took place there during the Middle Woodland. There has been a lot of work in and around Abbott Farm since then – I don’t recall how much attention sturgeon received in the reports.

Williams, L.E., D.C. Parris, and S.S. Albright

1981    Interdisciplinary approaches to WPA archaeological collections in the Northeast. In The research potential of anthropological museum collections, edited by Anne-Marie E. Cantwell, James B. Griffin, and Nan A. Rothschild, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences Vol. 376:141-159.

Cavallo, John A.

1983-1984       Fish, Fires, and Foresight: Middle Woodland economic adaptations in the Abbott Farm National Landmark. North American Archaeologist 5(2):111-138.

Good luck,

Cregg