Hi,

I would be interested to hear what other institutions make of Ratemash http://www.ratemash.com/

My understanding is that anyone can upload a picture of someone who can then be 'rated' by website visitors. Furthermore, I believe that RateMash themselves can access pictures from Facebook accounts that have not got appropriate privacy settings.

We're seeing a bit of chatter on social media about this, mainly from students who were not best pleased to find themselves on the website.

Our Students' Union have dealt with a few enquiries and are currently telling people to begin by locking down their Facebook account. RateMash say that 'If your profile is on Ratemash, you can ask for it to be removed. Just contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>' but we've had complaints from students who have done this and no action has been taken. Our SU have in those cases contacted Rate Mash directly, but haven't heard back so far.

There are a few Universities that are not featured, and I am wondering whether this is because the University has been in touch and asked to be removed - I imagine by going down the 'using our name without permission' route.

I'd be very interested to hear what other institutions make of them and whether you've already had contact with them.

Thanks

-Victoria

Victoria Russell
Online Communications Officer
Marketing Communications
Division of External Relations
University of Leicester
LE1 7RH
0116 223 1244

Elite without being Elitist

Times Higher Awards Winner 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/uniofleicester