Dear All,

I had unintentionally responded off-list but so that everyone is aware of my own response as one of those suggesting a further delay might be sensible….

>> 4. If we need to postpone we will most likely postpone till Jan., so as
>> to avoid changing in mid December.
> I've got a few requests that we postpone, so I am happy to take this
> into account.

"In some ways it is good to press ahead,  but I would note the need for some caution here. Please take a look at these notes from the WLCG ops coordination meeting last week: https://twiki.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/LCG/WLCGOpsMinutes131121#SHA_2.

The points that have me a little concerned:
"OSG sites that need to upgrade include BNL and FNAL"
"by Dec 1 the WLCG infrastructure is expected to be mostly ready"  - mostly means not entirely!
"it is unlikely for SHA-2 certs to appear still this year" - so the expectation is that CAs will not move yet
"a VOMS-Admin test setup has been successfully loaded with the VOMRS data of ALICE"   … which may imply it hasn't been done for LHCb, ATLAS or CMS. Remember VOMRS is not SHA-2 compliant.

Unless there is a pressing need for SHA-2 in December, I think we should recheck a few things to ensure we do not end up being caught out."

It was my conclusion that we (from a WLCG/EGI perspective) may not want to switch ahead of other countries when things are not entirely ready. In January I believe many CAs are intending to move and then there will be increased pressure within the community to have things fixed quickly. I agreed with Jens though that we do not want to put things off much longer!

Jeremy