On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM, Yann Quidé <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks Donald.
>
> Just to be sure I follow you at 100%...
>

> On 7 Nov 2013, at 2:03 pm, MCLAREN, Donald <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> Please see inline responses below.
>

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM, Yann Quidé <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Donald,
>>
>> I just read this post and was a bit confused. I thought the seed regions
>> had to be independent from the main result, otherwise it would be a case of
>> double-dipping, right?! Maybe in that particular case, Akos did not compare
>> groups directly (ie, planned 2-sample t-tests or between-groups ANOVA), and
>> therefore the seed region is equivalent to a kind of functional localizer?
>>

> No. They don't need to be independent of the main result. When you do a
> PPI analyses, it is a separate and completely different analyses from that
> of the task activation. Thus, using the task results to select your seeds
> is not double-dipping.
>
> Ok, I got it, but am I right to think we cannot use a between group
> difference result as seed and then from this difference investigate
> difference in FC with this region?

You could use the between-group differences to define your seed region.
Then the PPI question becomes, in the region with different activity, is
the connectivity also different. It's possible that activity could change,
but the connectivity profile is not different. It's also possible that two
groups have the same activity in a region, but the connectivity profiles
are different. It all depends on the question and goal of what you are
trying to show.

There is one study (Cole et al. 2013 entitled Multi-task connectivity
reveals flexible hubs for adaptive task control.) used 264 spheres and
examined all the pairwise connections. The were defined a priori.