The correct contrast is [1 -0.5 -0.5] . In most circumstances your contrasts should add up to zero.

On 16 November 2013 16:35, John Gelburg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi,

I have three conditions with equal number of trials each. When I want to compare A vs. B+C, should t-contrast be [1 -1 -1] or [1 -0.5 -0.5]?

Some time ago I have already asked a similar question and I got a definite answer that when I compare two conditions with different number of trials no weights should be applied (SPM handles it internally). In fact, my current problem is that with  [1 -1 -1] the result just does not make sense to me, whereas [1 -0.5 -0.5] gives what seems to be right. At the end, I know what I get for A vs. B and A vs. C separately.

Thanks for help,
John