The smoothing procedure is described in the Hutton et al paper "Voxel-based
cortical thickness measurements in MRI":

The spatially normalised VBCT maps were smoothed using a three-dimensional
Gaussian smoothing kernel with FWHM = 3 mm. A smoothing kernel of this size
was chosen to reflect the average thickness of the cortex and to account
for any small discrepancies in spatial normalisation. Gaussian smoothing
slightly reduces the values in the VBCT maps because it performs a weighted
averaging over all voxels included by the Gaussian kernel and the values of
some of those voxels are zero if they do not consist of grey matter. This
effect was corrected for by dividing the smoothed VBCT maps by a binary
mask of each VBCT map which has had the same smoothing applied.

Essentially, it involves tissue-weighted smoothing as described in this
presentation (except the presentation describes it for WM instead of GM):
http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/~john/misc/VBQ.pptx

Best regards,
-John