It performs spm_est_smoothness on a subset of the residuals.

nSres=min(nScan,MAXRES)
i_res = round(linspace(1,nScan,nSres))';        % Indices for residual
Then it takes those residual images and passes them to spm_est_smoothness.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren