Whoops. Looks like Tom and I were typing similar responses simultaneously.

HH

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Hannibal Hamlin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Is it possible that Spenser also has in mind Paul's text from Ephesians that explains Redcrosse's armor? It's the armor of God (Ephesians 6:11), but he carries the "shield of faith" (6:16). Thus faith and force would stand for something like offence and defence, embodied in his sword and his shield. Of course, this doesn't make sense in the narrative, since at this moment, Redcrosse has been wrapped up by Errour like a serpent, so his shield is presumably irrelevant, although interestingly it is his shield that Errour first strikes ("Lept fierce upon his shield"). Whatever Una means, it isn't clear, as Lauren says, that Redcrosse gets it. We're told that "in great perplexitie, his gall did grate for griefe and high disdaine." Grief and disdain seem characteristic of Redcrosse (and get him into greater trouble later on), but they are surely not what Una had in mind. Furthermore, Redcrosse frees a hand by "knitting all his force," which seems just more force, not force with faith.

Hannibal