I, too, want to thank Steve Willett from bringing up this topic. I'll include a link to a news story that includes the information that non-tenure track professors make up 70 percent of faculties:
http://chronicle.com/article/From-Graduate-School-to/131795/

One reason to continue this discussion is that no one is so well suited to consider the problem of debt and chronic underemployment among classics and humanities PhDs as those who have studied rhetoric, philosophy, and literature, and also teach in the very institutions whose practices are under scrutiny. The people on this list have the imaginations to place themselves in the shoes of the adjunct, and they have the experience and intellectual discipline to analyze the situation. I would far rather read what these folks have to say on the topic than almost anyone else.

Denise MacLachlan

From: Brian Lockey <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: beyond the passive professoriate

Although I don't agree with what he has written about the uselessness of a humanities degree, I did want to thank Steve Willett for bringing this topic up and for stimulating an interesting discussion. I am not sure why we are suddenly being encouraged to "move on." The issue of student indebtedness seem to me to be among the most pressing issues for our profession, something that is being brought up continually at my university as well as outside the university as well, and it seems the most ethical of discussions to have at this point, even if it is off the topic of Spenser and Sidney.  I certainly hope that Andrew does not intervene.

Brian Lockey