Well said and summarised, Fred.  I like the notion of 'urban immune deficiency'.  Marls's notion that people should understand the principles of building safety as the do dental hygiene is also intriguing.  Putting them together, I come back in my mind to lack of investment in public education.  In our Tanzanian work on climate change, whether or not groups of fishers, pastoralists or farmers mention this or that specific veterinary, water, pest or soil issue, the ALL prioritise education as important in providing enhanced and secure livelihoods in the future for themselves a parents/ grand parents and for their children and the community at large.  Remittance income from educated children is vital in their livelihood systems.  However, also seen as vital is access to new knowledge.  So in urban systems suffering neo-liberal inspired and justified privatisation and disinvestment in education (K-12 and beyond, as well as adult literacy and livelong education opportunities), the chance of a shift in consciousness consistent with Marla's analogy are remote.

All the best,

BEN

-----Original Message-----
From: "Dr. Frederick Krimgold" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Nov 29, 2013 6:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: accountability

Aside from favoring Ben’s suggestion for recycling Guantanamo, I heartily agree with Marla. We need to endorse and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of building safety regulation where it exists and work for the evolution of collective survival oriented regulation to limit uninformed or unethical behavior on the part of individual builders, developers or investors. The Washington consensus of the ‘80s that prescribed privatization and deregulation as the cure for all that ails the world has left communities without capacity for collective self-defense and severe urban immune system deficiency. Building and land use regulation policy and strategy has been devoid of innovation or intellectual development for many decades. It is not enough to resurrect
 or propagated  the top-down bureaucratic regulatory models of the “developed” world. We need to evolve mechanisms of collective urban survival. The mis-application of Darwin’s theory to justify reckless   individual greed at the expense of collective survival is ultimately suicidal.
Agreeing with Tony, regulation for community safety is clearly a cultural issue. However, this cultural capacity has to evolve as rapidly as the complexity and hazard of the urban environment.
Fred

Dr. Frederick Krimgold
Director
Disaster Risk Reduction Program (DRR)