From: Dewald van Niekerk <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Nov 28, 2013 2:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Accountability for Disaster

Ilan I am going to be cynical here and argue that this is a political move to effect change riding on the back of a tragedy. I have not seen any politicians giving up their position because they feel “accountable” for a disaster. The right thing to be doing is not run away from the problem but FIX the underlying causes.

My 2c worth at the end of a VERY long year!

Best

Kind regards,

Prof. Dewald van Niekerk

Director: African Centre for Disaster Studies

Editor: Jamba: Journal of Disaster Risk Studies
(http://www.jamba.org.za)

North West University
Potchefstroom Campus
Research Focus Area: Social Transformation
Private Bag X6001
Potchefstroom
North West Province
2520
South Africa
Tel: +27 (0)18 299 1634
Fax: +27 (0)87 231 5590
E mail: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://www.acds.co.za
             http://www.nwu.ac.za

"Human beings, who are almost unique in
having the ability to learn from the experience
of others, are also remarkable for their
apparent disinclination to do so."
  -  Douglas Adams