Hi Sam,

I don't have good overall statistics on the number of viewers of science and comedy shows - perhaps check with the Nielsen ratings and/or whatever the UK equivalent would be - but I did do a survey asking people about what science shows they watch for my thesis project.  The survey participants were mostly students and faculty in North Dakota, USA, and mostly scientists, so I don't know how helpful this would be for you.  The Big Bang Theory was the only comedy listed in my survey, (well, MythBusters also has some elements of comedy,) and it was among the top three most popular science shows for both the scientist and non-scientist survey participants.  (Of course, the fact that it's a prime-time network show could also explain its popularity.)

http://katrina-jackson.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Thesis-Final-Jackson.pdf  See pages 66-68.  (The methodology is explained pages 40-48.)

Good luck!

Thanks,
Katrina