I spent several years working as a freelance journalist in the B2B sector, covering developments in materials science, including nanotechnology.

Given that I was writing for a technically-minded entrepreneurs, and interviewing academic and industrial researchers, a deep understanding of the scientific and engineering detail was required. For that reason B2B publishers would seek out PhDs to work as freelance journalists. Such people are better qualified to deal with the subject material, and do so as journalists, with a critical eye and not just focussing on the effectiveness of the presentation. Similarly, biotech-centred publishers look for bioscience PhDs to cover their topics of interest.

In the past few years, what with the recession and relative lack of advertising revenue, the B2B sector has become more churnalistic, with academic and industry PRs writing copy that is published in largely unedited form on low-cost web platforms. But even there, when precising research results it helps if the writers have a thorough knowledge of the science and engineering involved.

Francis

Michael Kenward <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
An entertainingly narrow specification. It is as if they have the job in mind for the only person around who ticks all those boxes.

It is especially delightful to see all the mucky PEST stuff shunted to the back of the queue.

"A first class degree and a PhD in a relevant science subject are required. It is highly desirable that the candidate has post-doctoral experience in Engineering, Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry, Nanotechnology, Science Writing, Media or Communications, followed by a proven track-record as editor/science writer in major scientific journals, as well as in public relations, and journalism."

Time spent recruiting people to write about hairy science tells me that the more academically qualified candidates have a harder time understanding the consumers' needs than someone who merely has a bog-standard degree, maybe a PhD in some area of science, and plenty of experience explaining any bit of science that wafts by.

Were I recruiting for this post, I might be tempted to hire someone with a zoology degree, 10 years slaving on a news desk and maybe some time editing papers. Post docs would go to the bottom of the pile. They probably desperately want to stay in research but haven't found a job.

Harrumph.

MK