Nevertheless, I like the final 5 couplets the most, Max; that 'revenant' image, for example. Although you & the poem had to get there.

I think some judicious cutting would make it harder; as in:

and fishermen in small boats kill
maybe more hours than fish.

But you do the memories well...

Doug
On Nov 6, 2013, at 2:18 AM, Max Richards <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> thanks, Patrick.
>
> Last line and a few others need improving.
>
> Don't hold back - if you can skim it again, which is quite a big Ask…
>
> Max
>
> On 06/11/2013, at 6:50 PM, Patrick McManus wrote:
>
>> Max 'today or never I may pause here,'
>> that has a resonance with me!!
>> Liked the changing times throughout
>> Not sure last line?

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/
http://eclecticruckus.wordpress.com/

Latest books:
Continuations & Continuations 2 (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=962
Recording Dates
(Rubicon Press)

Art is always the replacing of indifference by attention.

                        Guy Davenport