I like it, perhaps because it too seems so formal(ized)?

But the address seems different in the final stanza, Lawrence, a shift from 'one' to 'you' implied, but I'm not sure how or why. There's a stasis of the 'is' in the first 2, & I wonder if you can edit a bit of that out?

Doug
On Nov 13, 2013, at 5:09 AM, Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Facets of this river are boxed away
>
> and rarely seen but as humdrum imagery.
>
> It is decoration that is wanted,
>
> released as what is seen as cool;
>

> and so one stands near the fountain, to stare
>
> over a field of pools, in profusion,
>
> quietly wondering why it has been set here,
>
> pleased nevertheless for certain calm.
>

> Yet, now look closer and regard them well:
>
> watch how lines are drawn momentarily
>
> by and into water itself, a mode of dance,
>
> constructing space and edges within it,
>
> without ever stacking what it collects
>
> to distort or divert the visible meaning.

Douglas Barbour

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/
http://eclecticruckus.wordpress.com/

Latest books:
Continuations & Continuations 2 (with Sheila E Murphy)
http://www.uap.ualberta.ca/UAP.asp?LID=41&bookID=962
Recording Dates
(Rubicon Press)

Art is always the replacing of indifference by attention.

                        Guy Davenport