It's interesting to note that this idea is held up to ridicule partly because of the assumption that experts on a subject are, by nature of their expertise, the best people to communicate their knowledge. That assumption seems as ridiculous to me as the assumption that students would learn more if addressed by Matt Damon instead of someone who is an expert in the subject matter.

All of that seems to be predicated on the assumption that what is essentially a televised lecture is the best way to convey most subject matter. (After years of hearing that lectures are out of date and don't reach current students, it's fascinating to watch the big educational debate be how many people should be lectured to simultaneously.)

Maybe it's not Hollywood stars that are needed as much as Hollywood directors.

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson
East Carolina University
graphic design program