I encourage you all to propose papers and plan to attend the AIGA Education conference hosted at the University of Cincinnati, March 14-15, 2014:

Connecting Dots
Research, Education + Practice

http://connectingdots.aiga.org/

The purpose of the conference is to survey what is happening in design research in academia and professional practice and make connections between those two.

Also note, there is a workshop prior to the conference sponsored by Visible Language to train peer-reviewers for design.

Feel free to contact me off-line with questions, as I'm on the steering committee.

Mike Zender
University of Cincinnati