From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carr Barnes
Sent: 19 November 2013 00:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Unnecessary "Health Surveillance"

Hi

Sounds like one of the major issues here is that the employee's perceive it to be of value to them them and their disgruntlement at losing this perk will be rippling upwards with the recipients (managers, H&S etc) wanting to pass the buck so are looking to you to make it (the disgruntlement) all go away for them. The employees perception of "need" will be very different than OH's perception and no amount of talking about "risk" will alter their perception... in fact it is likely to just make them dig their heels in harder and protest their argument more and in composing their responses they will not even hear what you are saying .. you are literally wasting your breath.

So what's the solution? Up to the employer who foots the bill... they either continue as is knowing it is not effective OH and taking risk and cost that comes with that (as you and others have outlined e.g DPA, diversion of OH resources), they take the hard line now and just say "it was what it was and now we are stopping it and c'est la vie", or they come call it what is is i.e. lifestyle screening ... and pay for another company to come in and do and separate it out from OH completely. Either way Sharon I don't think there is much more that you can do except keep pushing the employer to take ownership and make a decision one way or another ...all you can do is ensure it is an "informed" one.

Carr