Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Home visits I agree with the advice from Cath and would follow the same process. I would only schedule a home visit  under extreme circumstances. I have only undertaken one – I was told by her manager that the lady was terminally ill with cancer. She had not previously been seen in OH and the copies of medical certificates covering her period of absence were very vague.

I was told by the manager that the worker’s declining health resulted in her being  unable to attend. The purpose of the visit was to establish whether this would be start of the process of retirement on the grounds of ill-health. On arrival I picked up that there was something very  chilling about the family dynamics.    The history taken from the worker revealed that she had been recently discharged from a secure psychiatric unit and although not a psychiatric nurse it felt that this discharge had been somewhat premature.

I kept myself between the family members and the door and made my exit as a matter of urgency on the pretext of not having all the paperwork I required. Not an experience I would want to repeat!

Anne

On 07/11/2013 08:13, "Cath" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi Jo

I have always abided by the principal that, if an employee can get to their GP, and hospital appointments, then they can visit occupational health appointments.It keeps the link with the working environment and management, as is usually written into their T&Cs, it also reduces the potential for incresing anxiety re returning to work, if they are away and isolated for too long. The only exception to this is if the employee is physically unable to attend, this being the case, then they cn be contacted by phone, and attend once they are back to sufficient mobility to get back into work for an appontment, and nearing return to work date and fitness.
I am also not predisposed to attending home visits without a HR or manager with meas the potential of lone working in such an isolated environment are only used as a last resort. Looking at the time required for both OH and HR/Manager this is a very expensive process from a financial point of view.

I hope this helps

Cath Farrimond

----- Original Message -----

From:  Jenkins, Jo <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

To: [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2013 7:18  AM

Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Home visits

Dear list

An NHS colleague of mine not  on the list asked me if I would be so kind as to post this question to you.

She was asked what the rationale is in her own unit for not  conducting a home visit for an employee on long term sick and has to respond  by tomorrow. I have my own views but wondered what the wider community  think.

Does anyone have any written  recommendation, advice, guidance, rationale re: Occupational Health and  conducting home visits that they would be happy to share that I can pass  on.

In advance thank  you!

Kind  Regards

Jo

Please be advised that all  e-mail communication relevant to assisting in the management of the OH process  will be entered into the individual's OH file. This may therefore be disclosed  to the client under the Data Protection Act (1998).

Reward &  Wellbeing

Jo Jenkins |  Senior Occupational Health  Adviser

01223 397 552 | ( EXT 2552  )| [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>

Mundipharma  International Limited |Unit 198 Cambridge Science Park

Milton Road |  Cambridge | CB4 0AB

******************************** Please remove  this footer before replying.