I agree with the advice from Cath and would follow the same process. I would
only schedule a home visit  under extreme circumstances. I have only
undertaken one ­ I was told by her manager that the lady was terminally ill
with cancer. She had not previously been seen in OH and the copies of
medical certificates covering her period of absence were very vague.

I was told by the manager that the workerıs declining health resulted in her
being  unable to attend. The purpose of the visit was to establish whether
this would be start of the process of retirement on the grounds of
ill-health. On arrival I picked up that there was something very  chilling
about the family dynamics.    The history taken from the worker revealed
that she had been recently discharged from a secure psychiatric unit and
although not a psychiatric nurse it felt that this discharge had been
somewhat premature.

I kept myself between the family members and the door and made my exit as a
matter of urgency on the pretext of not having all the paperwork I required.
Not an experience I would want to repeat!

Anne

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: