I would coat the inside of the shells with a viscous solution of Paraloid B72 in acetone and allow to harden. This will help strengthen, but more importantly it will seal the tiny holes and sutures in the shell. This will help prevent the filler oozing out and spoiling the result.
Tjhen think about how you want the hole at the top to appear when the shell is filled - should it be flush with the top. If you would like it hollow at the top, then insert a small plug of something easily removable (eg Plastazote foam) before turning the shell over and filling it.
Hope this helps
Helena

From: Philip Hadland [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:59 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: sea urchin shells for a feely box

Lovely idea! I might have to give it a go myself.

I would go with the plaster option-I can see the expanding foam exploding the sea urchin although not tried it-then soak in some paraloid or similar solution to make the shell more solid.

I’ll let you know if we have any shells (we have a disposal list awaiting approval) but could be a few months.

Good luck

Phil

Philip Hadland

Museums and Galleries Development Officer (Collections Review)

Canterbury Museums and Galleries

Canterbury City Council

Culture and Enterprise

Canterbury Heritage Museum

Stour Street

Canterbury

CT1 2NR

Office: 01227 475205

Mobile: 07795418996

The Beaney was shortlisted for the Art Fund Prize for Museum of the Year 2013 and for the Clore Award for Learning

The Beaney Front Room Paper Apothecary won the inaugural Collections Trust and Historypin award for Participatory Practice, July 2013

The Beaney won a Sandford Award for Heritage Education, August 2013

Visit The Beaney House of Art and Knowledge, Canterbury's Art Museum, Library and Visitor Information Centre www.canterbury.co.uk/Beaney/

Visit our latest special exhibitions at The Beaney Home. Select. From the Arts Council Collection, and Edward Chell Eclipse 22nd June – 8th September 2013

The Beaney is part of the Happy Museum national initiative reimagining museums for a changing world

The Beaney received a commendation in the Civic Trust Awards 2013

The Beaney won the Cultural Landscape Award at The Culture Awards 2013.

www.canterbury-museums.co.uk

Please give us your views on our service through our customer satisfaction survey