I would avoid expanding foam, there are health risks as well as the risk of
breaking the specimen. I agree with Helena re coating the inside with paraloid
B72 first. Then plaster of paris - or even better Jesmonite acrylic resin (it
is more durable) - would be a good solid filler unlikely to pose health
problems. You can set a threaded bar in the resin that you can use to secure
the specimen to the base of your box with a nut on the bar on the other side of
your box/shelf.

With best wishes, Nigel.

This mail sent through http://www.easynetdial.co.uk