The pavement at the west end of Durham is still there, highly visible in the nave floor, and Cuthbert's antipathy to women seems to have been invented at about the same time, ie in the later C11, when the community was converted from one of married priests to one of monks. In other words, in this case in spite of being a cathedral church it is the monastic dimension of Durham that is the driver here. I've never come across anything comparable in other English cathedrals, secular or monastic. One C14 visitation at Ely, another cathedral priory, attests to the presence of lay women in the Lady chapel, and registers concern that the small size of the chapel is bringing them into dangerously close proximity to the monks. The enormous current Lady chapel was constructed soon afterwards, and excavations of the passage between it and the church have suggested it was accessed via two parallel passages, perhaps one for laypeople/women and the other for monks.

As for parish churches, I believe the practise of women sitting in one part of the church and men in an other is reasonably well-attested, and has even been discussed on this list. Duffy's Stripping of the Altars points persuasively to several East Anglian screens with female saints on one side and male on the other, presumably reflecting their respective areas of seating within the church. But I feel quite sure women were never excluded from parish churches.

Any brewing, of course would be for 'small beer', with very low alcohol content: merely a way of providing potable drink. Such beer was a commonplace source of liquid, and certainly brewed and drunk in monastic houses.

Jon

Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:12:39 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Two questions about the parish church
To: [log in to unmask]

John,
St. Cuthbert was rather well known for his antipathy to women in his church.  There was apparently a marker on the pavement at the west end of Durham Cathedral, east of which no women were allowed to venture.  That, I believe, was one of the rationales for building the Galilee at the west end of Durham Cathedral.  I've always considered Durham Cathedral rather exceptional in this regard, though, at least for a cathedral, even though it was a cathedral priory with monks rather than canons.  Am I wrong about this?
cheers,
Jim