Two questions about claims in a textbook I use:

1. “In some cases” the village church and tavern “were actually the same
building, though not at the same time.”  I’ve never heard this and it seems
at the least “uncanonical.”  True?

2.  “In some northern areas [of Europe], women were forbidden from entering
their parish church or even setting foot on its land.”  This one seems
especially unlikely to me, except perhaps during the few weeks before they
were churched after childbirth. Could it be true?

I await enlightenment.

Best,

John

--
John Shinners
Professor, Schlesinger Chair in Humanistic Studies

"Learn everything. Later you will see that nothing is superfluous." -- Hugh
of St. Victor (d. 1141)