Cecilia, to an already excellent list I would add Richard Viladesau, *The
Beauty of the Cross: The Passion of Christ in Theology and the Arts, from
the Catacombs to the Eve of the Renaissance,* Oxford: Oxford University
Press, 2006.

The old *Dictionnaire d'archéologie chrétienne et de liturgie* is
probably also worth checking, along with the other monumental French
encyclopedias (DThC, DSp).

On the legends of the true cross in the Middle Ages there is Stephan
Borgehammar's
thesis, *How the Holy Cross Was Found: From Event to Medieval Legend with
an Appendix of Texts*. Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksell International, 1991.

It's probably superfluous to mention that the ceremonial adoration of the
cross on Good Friday would have been known to everyone from about the 7th
or 8th century; it's in the Gelasian Sacramentary. -- Paul

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014
 |  Australia
office: (07) 3246 9888  |  home: (07) 3246 9894