John, do you by any chance have a reference for this? I ask out of interest, but also because of a family story. A friend of ours works in a Famous London Store - it shall be nameless but it sells a lot of high-quality food and makes a lot of money at Christmas. So they start their Christmas preparations in September. So my friend found them choosing music and obviously thinking 'Christmas ... boy trebles ...' they were playing Faure's Pie Jesu. My friend (being a good Catholic) attempted to explain why it wasn't really Christmassy, as such, and they looked at her in complete bewilderment.
But from what you said, it looks as though it could have been more appropriate than they knew!

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray PhD, FRHistS
Reader in History/ Darllenydd mewn Hanes
School of Humanities and Lifelong Learning /Ysgol Ddyniaethau a Dysgu Gydol Oes
University of South Wales/Prifysgol De Cymru
Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,
Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3QT Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675
http://www.southwales.ac.uk
http://twitter.com/penrhyspilgrim
http://twitter.com/HeritageUSW
http://twitter.com/USWHistory

'We all cherrypick the past but you have to be aware that you're cherrypicking' (Ruth Goodman)