From: This list is for current and potential users of the Innopac system [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Diane C Leeson
Sent: 12 November 2013 17:45
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Self-holds and recalls

Hello all,

Back in the mists of time when the ability for users to place their own holds on the catalogue became available we opted to do this in staff intervention mode rather than automatically.  So users place a hold request and staff review these and place the holds as appropriate.  At the time there were good reasons for doing this and we are currently reviewing changing to automatic mode.  Clearly this would be one less task for staff and also users would see holds placed immediately rather than waiting (which sometimes causes queries).   Our one query concerns recalls and we are hoping that others using automatic self-holds may be able to advise (I suspect that is most of you, although I’d be interested to know if anyone else is still doing it the way we are!).

We currently only allow holds to be placed at the bibliographic level rather than the item level.  In this scenario would the system automatically recall an item if it was eligible for recall? or does this only work with item level holds?

Thanks,

Diane

Diane Leeson

Content and Access Team Leader

T +44 (0)1482 466832

Information Management

Brynmor Jones Library

University of Hull

Hull, HU6 7RX

www.hull.ac.uk

The contents and any attachment of this e-mail are private and confidential.
They are intended only for the use of the intended addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee, you are notified that any copying, forwarding, publication, review or delivery of this e-mail or any attachments to anyone else or any other use of its contents is strictly prohibited. You are prohibited from reading any part of this e-mail or any attachments.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the system manager.  Unauthorised disclosure or communication or other use of the contents of this e-mail or any part thereof may be prohibited by law and may constitute a criminal offence. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Institute does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.  Unless stated to the contrary, any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may not be attributed to the Institute.