Hello

The virtual course “12 days of Christmas” will start on Monday 2 December. Information about how to participate is below. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

The 12 Days of Christmas is an online tutorial that allows you to learn about different online tools that you might not have heard of before or not had time yet to have a go. The tools are often examples of social media and you can use them to keep up-to-date professionally, to market your service or simply to make your life easier.

If you want to take part there is no requirement to book onto this course. On the 2 December I will send out an email to [log in to unmask] and  [log in to unmask] with a link to the 12 days of Christmas blog where you will be able to access the first module and a reflective grid for you to complete during each exercise. The reflective grid is a word document.

The course is open to all LIHNN members and to library and knowledge staff in the Yorkshire and Humber region. Participants can choose which modules to complete. You can do them all or just choose to do certain ones.

At the bottom of this email the trainer, Lisa Jeskins (http://www.lisajeskinstraining.com/), has provided further guidelines for participants and a list of the links used within the tutorial. Unfortunately I suspect that not all of them will be accessible within your organisations. You can still participate if you are happy to complete the exercises at home or you can just miss out the ones you can’t access. Similarly if you are not interested in a particular module or already feel you have enough knowledge of it, you can skip it.

The blog will stay open until the 10 January 2014. Once an exercise is opened on the blog it will stay there until the 10 January. This means that you will not miss any of the exercises and can do them at any time which suits you until the 10 January.

If you want a certificate you will need to send me a copy of your reflective grid and I’ll send you a certificate saying which modules you completed. You don’t have to have done all the modules to get a certificate.

The exercises will be released onto the blog as follows. I will email the lists throughout the 3 week period to remind you that the course is open.

Week 1

Monday 2 December – Wordle

Tuesday 3 December – Doodle

Wednesday 4 December – CC images

Thursday 5 December – Slideshare

Week 2

Monday 9 December – Blogs

Tuesday 10 December – Wikipedia

Wednesday 11 December – Twitter

Thursday 12 December - LinkedIn

Week 1

Monday 16 December – Diigo

Tuesday 17 December – Pinterest

Wednesday 18 December – Prezi

Thursday 19 December - Reflection

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me. I hope you enjoy the course.

Gil

Guidelines: The Twelve Days of Christmas is an online tutorial that allows you to learn about different online tools that you might not have heard of before or not had time yet to have a go.

The tools are often examples of social media and you can use them to keep up-to-date professionally, to market your service or simply to make your life easier.

Each day will feature a different tool. Each tool includes an Overview of the tool and Exercises for you to do. Many of the tools also include Optional Extra Exercises or Information for those of you who are more familiar with the tools being described. However if you are a complete novice please don't feel you have to do the Optional Extra Exercises. They really are optional.

Each day should take approximately 30 minutes. You can choose to work your way through every exercise or you can choose to skip tools that you are very experienced at using.

Reflection: There is also a Reflection Grid for you to fill out. There are questions for you to answer every day. If you have chosen to skip a day because you are an experienced user of that day's tool then you can add Skipped - experienced user to the reflection grid for that day.

Social Media : Hash tag #nhs12days If you tweet then you can talk about what you are doing by using the hash tag #nhs12days. I've also enabled sharing of posts to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+. You can email a post to yourself if you wish or you can print it out.

Possible Issues: Some of the exercises might use tools that are blocked within your trust so you might have to do these on a PC or device elsewhere. Sometimes the tools might not work on your version of Internet Explorer (IE), if you're using IE6 or 7. (I’ve recently discovered that some trusts even block Wordpress so you might not be able to access the blog itself at work)

Links used within the tutorial

Websites

Blogs

Gil Young, CPD & Partnerships Manager

BA (Hons); PgDipLIS; MSc; MCLIP; Assoc CIPD
NHS NW Health Care Libraries Unit,
Unit E, Kingscroft Court,
Sovereign Business Park
Warrington Road
Wigan WN1 3AP
Tel: 01942 482 584 or 0779 5310 852

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and GSI recipients
For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

Thank you for your co-operation.