On 13 November 2013 11:54, Denkinson, Grant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Stevan Harnad writes;

Can we harvest papers from ArXiv?

http://arxiv.org/help/bulk_data
has:
Note: Most articles submitted arXiv are submitted with the default arXiv license which grants arXiv a perpetual, non-exclusive license to distribute the article but does not assign copyright to arXiv, nor grant arXiv the right to grant any specific rights to others. We are thus unable to grant others the right to distribute arXiv articles. If you build indexes or tools based on the full-text you must link back to arXiv for downloads. A small fraction of submissions are made with other licenses and this information is available in the OAI-PMH metadata.

So if a paper from our university is on ArXiv can we put it in our institutional repository on behalf of the author?

The main point of the arXiv licence is that it doesn't by extension grant anyone a licence to hold the material anywhere else. But it - explicitly - does not maintain an exclusive licence on the content. So, it can be located additionally in other places - you just need to have your own legal basis for hosting the material.

So if, for example, an author granted you the licence to host it in your institutional repository, then there is no reason why you shouldn't place it there on their behalf.

More to the point though, many deposits into institutional repositories are made under very similar licences - and for papers published with a CTA, that may be the limit of how they can legally be deposited - then this would prevent BiorXiv (or other systems) harvesting anything more than the metadata [from the institutional repositories].