*****************************************Apologies for cross posting***************************************

Dear Colleagues,

17th Centre for Competition and Regulatory Policy Workshop

Thursday & Friday 23-24 January 2014

CALL FOR PAPERS

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: Monday 2nd December 2013

City University’s Centre for Competition and Regulatory Policy Winter Workshop will be held at the Department of Economics, City University London. The workshop commences at 1pm Thursday 23rd January and finishes at 5 pm Friday 24th January 2014.

As in previous years there will be a two-hour Round Table on Competition Policy. The theme this year is “Competition and Regulation Boundaries; Concurrency and its Future”. This will be held at 11:00 on Friday 24th January 2014. A flyer is attached.

Attendance to the workshop as well as a sandwich/canapés lunch on Friday and coffee breaks on both days will be provided free of charge.  Accommodation and travel costs will have to be met by participants.  Bookings for both events will open in early December.

We would like to invite you to submit an extended abstract of 4 pages maximum of (preferably) work-in-progress in any of the following areas:

·         General, legal and industry/market specific competition policy issues

·         Economic regulation of infrastructure industries (telecoms, electricity, water, airports, postal services, etc)

·         Economic regulation of financial markets, health, education, legal services and other quasi-markets in public services.

·         Boundaries and overlaps between economic regulation and competition policy for utilities and networks, and public service markets.

We would welcome both theoretical and empirical papers, including case study oriented work. As this is a workshop, we are very happy to consider research that will not be at the “full paper stage” by the time of the workshop – for planning purposes only please do make this clear at submission.

We like to encourage workshop submissions from research students - please pass this call on to your PhD students who work in these areas who may have a paper they would like to contribute.

Each presenter will have 20 minutes to present his/her work followed by comments from an assigned discussant, plus general discussion. If you are willing to act as an assigned discussant we would also like to hear from you.

The call for abstracts closes on Monday 2nd December 2013. You will be notified whether your submission has been accepted by Wednesday 11th December 2013. We will circulate a provisional programme shortly afterwards. You will need to send a copy of the paper and/or presentation to your assigned discussant by 7th January 2014 to allow sufficient time to review the work and prepare her/his comments.

Extended summary submissions and enquires should be emailed to the CCRP workshop co-organizer Ms Domile Butkeviciute at [log in to unmask].

Important dates

Notification of acceptance of paper: Wednesday 11th December 2013

Provisional programme/start of registration:  Wednesday 11th December 2013

Papers to discussants: Tuesday 7th January 2014

Definitive programme and final registration: Monday 13th January 2014

Submit paper for copies: Thursday 16th January 2014

Presentation slides: Tuesday 21st January 2014

Best wishes

Xeni

Dr Xeni Dassiou, Reader in Economics

Director, Centre for Competition & Regulatory Policy

Director, MSc Economic Regulation & Competition

Economics Department - School of Social Sciences (D320)

City University London | Northampton Square | London EC1V 0HB | UK

Phone: (0) 20 7040 0206 | Fax: (0) 20 7040 8580 | Email: [log in to unmask]

http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/economic-regulation-and-competition

http://www.city.ac.uk/arts-social-sciences/economics/research/centre-for-competition-and-regulatory-policy