I agree….imagine asking Alexander Fleming to do EBM on his Petri-dish that showed a clear bacteriostatic field around the mould. Sometimes the Bayesian priors are too low, and effect size (posteriors) too large to remove all doubts and the requirements for assessments of confounding and selection bias. Basic medical science falls more in this category in my opinion…unless of course one is doing an epi kind of study on basic medical science topics.

From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of k.hopayian
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: EBP and basic medical science

This has been an interesting discussion but I think that an important distinction has been overlooked.

Evidence-Based-Practice is about, er, clinical practice. It is where science or evidence adds value to clinical experience, resources and patient's values in decisions about health care, whether individual patient care or public health. The scientific contribution differentiates it from non-scientific aspects of clinical practice, e.g., veneration of authority, anecdote, fashion etc.

Basic medical science is, er, science, which has rules about the correct conduct of investigation. It does not APPLY this to patients or populations, although its results may be applied in evidence based practice.

Kev Hopayain