Interesting…..but here it gets murky here.

While the topic may be categorised within the domain of “anatomical sciences”, the question and methodology employed are epidemiologic in nature. The classic EBM principles can, therefore, be applied to this type of research which may be better named as anatomical epidemiology in which the “disease” is the state, condition or an specific anatomical occurrence.

From: Evidence based health (EBH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of cesar yammine
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: EBP and basic medical science

Dear Colleagues,

I want to share my experience in applying EBM principles in basic sciences.

A year and a half ago, I started to research into the application of EBM methods on anatomical sciences. Since, we published two meta-analyses (other two already accepted for publication) on the prevalence of some clinically relevant anatomical variations and its correlation with gender, side, race and discussed the results and their impact in clinical and surgical practice. We are preparing a paper on the benefits, limitations and specificity of what we called "Evidence-Based Clinical Anatomy". The implications of such research in the basic science of clinical anatomy revealed to be beyond just clinical anatomy and interestingly reached other fields such as morphology, phylogeny and selective evolution. Interestingly, this opened the possibility to conduct interdisciplinary research.

You may find our first published paper if you follow this link:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/245029327_Clinical_prevalence_of_palmaris_longus_agenesis_A_systematic_review_and_meta-analysis

Regards.

Kaissar Cesar Yammine, MD, D.(Ortho), MPH, PhD (C)
Orthopedic Surgery & Sports Medicine

Head of the Foot and Hand Clinic
Director of The Center for Evidence-Based Sports and Orthopedic Research (CEBSOR)
Emirates Hospital, Dubai

www.emirateshospital.ae

Visiting Professor in Anatomy & Sports Sciences