Hi Tom,

I think there always has to be a balance of time and efficiency. If you anticipate that everything you are looking for is indexed in Medline, then there isn't going to be much return on investment (ROI) for searching PubMed also. On the other hand, if you think there are additional citations of interest in the 2 million+ citations in PubMed not indexed in Medline then there may be benefit in going the extra mile. This same argument can be said for searching Medline and Embase since Embase now contains Medline, etc.

The second part (removing duplicates) is becoming less of an issue as software for removing duplicates efficiently are becoming more available for daily use.

Ahmed