I agree with Linda - we need to think about our approach here. The initial issue we had in Hackney, (Adult Learning Services) where the Roma population is predominantly Polish, was that of engagement - we had almost no Roma students in our ESOL classes. Working alongside Hackney Homes (who had a Roma support worker) and the Traveller Education Service (also part of the local education authority) we ran a specific course to try to meet the needs of the community. Attached is an article I wrote on it for Adults Learning in case of interest.

We did have an issue with retention - moves back and forth to Poland, ill healh etc.  - but some of the learners did progress on to 'mainstream' ESOL classes the following year - and recruited other family members too! (I am on sabbatical leave this year so I am afraid I don't about progression beyond this, or new enrolments for 2013-14, sorry).

Alice

Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 23:49:24 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Fw: Do you have Roma students?
To: [log in to unmask]

On Monday, 25 November 2013, 23:47, linda duckenfield <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
This is leading us into the same kind of dilemmas as every school with high ESOL needs, except that ESOL is our business, and not EFL.  Polish immigrants are often highly literate and academic, and boost our success rates enormously, (in my experience) as they are delightfully easy to teach including even with EFL materials.
And now the obverse,  Roma students will almost certainly have been discriminated against educationally in their home countries.  If they dent our success rates we should just see this as an interesting challenge, be prepared to make the necessary political arguments, and if retention is an issue really look at how inclusive, welcoming and appropriate our courses are.  Don't for heavens sake let's start blaming the Roma.