Another good way to find early examples is in EPNS volumes.   In this case we get the common early variant Phelip(pe) in Phelippesgrof and Phelippeslith c.1285 and 1359 in Goring (Oxfordshire), and another diminutive in Filcokesfeld and Filcocks Fd (Cheshire 2.111 and 3.310).

Keith

From: The English Place-Name List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carole Hough
Sent: 14 November 2013 12:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Surnames: Philpott and Philp

The Prosopography of Anglo-Saxon England database http://www.pase.ac.uk/ includes the names of all known individuals from the Anglo-Saxon period. There are two entries for the name 'Philip':

Philip 1:

(m xi) I, king of France, 1060-1108

Philip 2:

(m/l xi) Witness, fl. 1066 x 1098

Best wishes,

Carole

From: The English Place-Name List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alan Clark [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 November 2013 02:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [EPNL] Surnames: Philpott and Philp

Philip I of Macedon 640-602 BCE

Philip II of Macedon 382–336 BCE (father of Philip III 359-317 BCE and Alexander the Great)

Would it be unreasonable to assume knowledge of and perhaps admiration for the above in antiquity in the British Isles and perhaps some desire, through naming, for emulation of the so-named?

Is there also at least awareness, through coinage if nothing else, of these individuals in Iron Age Britain too?

Regards,

Alan