For what its worth, our research degree regulations contain the following paragraph

Assessment Variation

When a candidate cannot, through disability, sickness or a comparable valid cause, be fairly assessed by the methods prescribed for the module or thesis concerned, the Research Committee may agree to vary those as deemed appropriate, bearing in mind the intended learning outcomes of the assessment and the need to assess each candidate on equal terms with other candidates. In addition, special arrangements can be made via the Disability Officer for adjustments to the conditions under which formal written and oral examinations may be undertaken. In determining the nature of any variation in methods of assessments, full account must be taken of the RAU’s policies.

Regards,

John

Dr John Conway

Director of Research

Disability Officer

Royal Agricultural University, Cirencester, Glos GL7 6JS

01285 652531 ext. 2234