You might want to have a look at:

http://www.fusisoft.net/fusisoft/Software/Details/Theuth

From: The Digital Classicist List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Juan Coderch
Sent: marted́ 12 novembre 2013 13:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [DIGITALCLASSICIST] Microsophists

The main problem with Unicode is that the procedure of typing the Greek may be very slow because of two characteristics (at least with some Unicode input resources):

1/ having to type all compound characters before the vowel, and moreover

2/ all of these compound characters being a double-key combination ("option" + the corresponding key, for instance).

The combination of both characteristics makes the procedure so slow that, for documents that I do not have to send anyone, I go on using my old font "SymbolGreekP", which is not Unicode-compatible, but it allows me to write the vowel first and then any compound characters with just one key hit each (at least with a Mac). The matter may seem irrelevant, but the difference between the Unicode input method and the old system is that, combining the slowness of the Unicode input method (double-key combinations) with the probability of error because of having to type all the compound characters before the vowel (and then having to delete, type again something already slow in itself, etc.), the typing speed with the old method may be four or five times higher than with the Unicode input method.

It would be interesting to know whether there are some Unicode input devices that allow typing compound characters after the vowel, not before, and without using double-key combinations (in other words: something similar to the old method). A difference that may look insignificant from the outside, but it makes typing Greek much easier and faster.

Juan C.